From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:54:28
1 On Thursday 05 August 2004 10:45, Lina Pezzella wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > >On Thursday 05 August 2004 05:11, Aron Griffis wrote:
4 > >>Jason Stubbs wrote: [Wed Aug 04 2004, 10:28:04AM EDT]
5 > >>
6 > >>>4. Fix ebuilds so that they link against ${ROOT} rather than assuming
7 > >>>"/".
8 > >>
9 > >>This sounds Really Hard.
10 > >>
11 > >>How about devising a method to chroot to ${ROOT} for src_compile when
12 > >>[[ ${ROOT} != / ]]. I know this would require some work, but it just
13 > >>might be less work than fixing the ebuilds to link against ${ROOT},
14 > >>which sounds extremely tedious and error-prone.
15 > >
16 > >That would require getting the immediate build deps and the deep runtime
17 > > build deps copied into a temporary directory within $ROOT at the start of
18 > > every emerge. It would also require every ebuild to be updated so that
19 > > all deps, including those in system, are listed.
20 > >
21 > >That sounds just as error-prone as fixing the ebuilds to me. However,
22 > > fixing the ebuilds has another benefit. Down the line it will help in
23 > > being able to install stuff into ${HOME}.
24 >
25 > Yes, it does sound just as error-prone as fixing the ebuilds, however
26 > chrooting would fix the macos .a library (needs ranlib run on the
27 > livefs, or something pretending to be the livefs) problem.
28
29 That's a relatively minor problem which can be dealt with in many ways.
30
31 I didn't seem to mention it elsewhere although I thought I did. chroot'ing
32 can't be used as a general solution as the binaries in $ROOT won't necessary
33 run on the architecture that is building them. Which of course means that
34 where back to fixing ebuilds to build against $ROOT. Note this doesn't mean
35 that every ebuild would need to be fixed at once.
36
37 Regards,
38 Jason Stubbs
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list