From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed solution to arches/stable problem
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:00:14
1 Ferris McCormick wrote: [Tue Jun 22 2004, 02:08:42PM EDT]
2 > I think I prefer the additional keyword. I am more interested in the
3 > maintainer's opinion than I am in the maintainer's architecture, and the
4 > extra keyword makes it clear the maintainer is signing off. After all,
5 > if I or anyone else keywords a package without adding the 'stable,' it
6 > is very clear that for some reason an architecture is compelled to jump
7 > ahead. I also want to know if there is an active maintainer ---
8
9 All good points.
10
11 > But then, I have been working in some dusty corners of the portage tree,
12 > where I am not sure there even is a maintainer anymore. I recently marked
13 > a package stable for sparc, and the keywording on it now looks like this:
14 >
15 > KEYWORDS="~x86 ~ppc sparc mips ~alpha arm ~hppa amd64 ~ia64 ppc64 s390"
16 >
17 > Changelog indicates a lot of recent activity, metadata indicates no-herd,
18 > no maintainer, and I haven't a clue which if any architecture controls.
19
20 Yep, I see that regularly too.
21
22 I think that I will write another email on this thread summarizing the
23 current possible approaches, their pros and cons, and then hopefully
24 we can have a conclusive discussion to choose one of them.
25
26 Regards,
27 Aron
30 Aron Griffis