From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc 2.16/19 for Gentoo Prefix on antique kernels
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2018 20:31:52
1 Am Samstag, 3. März 2018, 15:39:50 CET schrieb Michał Górny:
2 >
3 > That's not a solution. That's cheap a cheap excuse that works for one
4 > package, for today. It does not solve the generic case, it does not mean
5 > that other members of toolchain or any other team will not end up having
6 > to remember extra rules like 'do not remove this ebuild because X wants
7 > it'.
8
9 We need to do that anyway, if only as a service to more technically oriented
10 users. I think we should keep in mind that the corresponding audiences are
11 where we draw our power users and potential developers.
12
13 This idea for sure applies to toolchain packages and parts of base system.
14 Keeping track of old software we want to keep via, say, a wiki page is the
15 easiest part.
16
17 As an example, I restored a specific old auto* version because it is required
18 for gcc *development* (not usage).
21 Andreas K. Hüttel
22 dilfridge@g.o
23 Gentoo Linux developer
24 (council, toolchain, perl, libreoffice, comrel)