From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc 2.16/19 for Gentoo Prefix on antique kernels
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2018 14:40:00
1 W dniu sob, 03.03.2018 o godzinie 22∶51 +0900, użytkownik Benda Xu
2 napisał:
3 > Hi Michał,
4 >
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> writes:
6 >
7 > > > I am sure you are aware that Prefix has two variants: one is
8 > > > prefix-rpath targeting MacOS, Solaris, AIX, Cygwin, Interix and a subset
9 > > > of GNU/Linux; the other is prefix-standalone, targeting GNU/Linux and
10 > > > Android/Linux.[1]
11 > > >
12 > > > For LLVM example, it is prefix-rpath, which hosts its own overlay at
13 > > > repo/proj/prefix.git. Besides LLVM there are other hacks at present in
14 > > > the overlay. But we still keep the ultimate goal of merging prefix.git
15 > > > into gentoo.git.
16 > >
17 > > I am also keeping old versions of LLVM for Prefix team. That's why I'd
18 > > really prefer to get rid of them and have them in some common overlay
19 > > that all Prefix users can use.
20 >
21 > Yes that's true. The case of LLVM for prefix-rpath is similar as glibc
22 > for prefix-standalone.
23 >
24 > For the argument of overlay refer to the message below vvv
25 >
26 > > > What we are discussing in this thread, however, is prefix-standalone, it
27 > > > uses the official gentoo repository without any overlay. It works
28 > > > perfectly for kernel-2.6.26+ and linux-3.2+. So, creating an overlay of
29 > > > 2 ebuilds for prefix-standalone is an overkill.
30 > >
31 > > Maybe it is. But isn't making maintenance of Gentoo packages more
32 > > complexity for Prefix an overkill? We are effectively switching
33 > > from trivial model of 'assign bug with X to maintainer' to checking
34 > > which maintainer applies to which version of X.
35 >
36 > I am on the toolchain alias, and I am interested in joining the project.
37 > I will be responsible to deal with all the bugs for glibc-2.16 and
38 > glibc-2.19. Bug wranglers' work load does not change.
39 >
40 > Yes, I apologize this will generate some noise for toolchain@g.o. But I
41 > anticipate people on the team are interested in receiving those emails.
44 That's not a solution. That's cheap a cheap excuse that works for one
45 package, for today. It does not solve the generic case, it does not mean
46 that other members of toolchain or any other team will not end up having
47 to remember extra rules like 'do not remove this ebuild because X wants
48 it'.
51 Best regards,
52 Michał Górny