From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc 2.16/19 for Gentoo Prefix on antique kernels
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2018 13:53:59
1 Hi Michał,
2
3 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> writes:
4
5 >> I am sure you are aware that Prefix has two variants: one is
6 >> prefix-rpath targeting MacOS, Solaris, AIX, Cygwin, Interix and a subset
7 >> of GNU/Linux; the other is prefix-standalone, targeting GNU/Linux and
8 >> Android/Linux.[1]
9 >>
10 >> For LLVM example, it is prefix-rpath, which hosts its own overlay at
11 >> repo/proj/prefix.git. Besides LLVM there are other hacks at present in
12 >> the overlay. But we still keep the ultimate goal of merging prefix.git
13 >> into gentoo.git.
14 >
15 > I am also keeping old versions of LLVM for Prefix team. That's why I'd
16 > really prefer to get rid of them and have them in some common overlay
17 > that all Prefix users can use.
18
19 Yes that's true. The case of LLVM for prefix-rpath is similar as glibc
20 for prefix-standalone.
21
22 For the argument of overlay refer to the message below vvv
23
24 >> What we are discussing in this thread, however, is prefix-standalone, it
25 >> uses the official gentoo repository without any overlay. It works
26 >> perfectly for kernel-2.6.26+ and linux-3.2+. So, creating an overlay of
27 >> 2 ebuilds for prefix-standalone is an overkill.
28 >
29 > Maybe it is. But isn't making maintenance of Gentoo packages more
30 > complexity for Prefix an overkill? We are effectively switching
31 > from trivial model of 'assign bug with X to maintainer' to checking
32 > which maintainer applies to which version of X.
33
34 I am on the toolchain alias, and I am interested in joining the project.
35 I will be responsible to deal with all the bugs for glibc-2.16 and
36 glibc-2.19. Bug wranglers' work load does not change.
37
38 Yes, I apologize this will generate some noise for toolchain@g.o. But I
39 anticipate people on the team are interested in receiving those emails.
40
41 Cheers,
42 Benda