From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Slacker archs
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 04:25:06
1 On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 01:35:32AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > It is widely perceived that Gentoo has a huge problem with slacker
3 > archs cluttering up the tree and making maintainers' work harder.
4 > Clearly, something needs to be done about this.
5 >
6 > I think the first step is to establish what all the problem
7 > architectures are. We all know that mips is by far the worst offender,
8 > but by how much? Rather than speculating wildly, I decided to make use
9 > of adjutrix and wc to find out. So, here we have a table showing just
10 > how much mips is a slacker arch:
11
12 Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.
13
14 (I always wanted to use that quote in an email, finally got a chance :)
15
16 base tree stats as of 02/19 02:30:01
17
18 checked the data over; mind you, formatting crap I did by hand gluing
19 from other bits, so it's possible I screwed up- doubt it, but feel
20 free to verify it.
21
22 base tree stats:
23 150 categories
24 11511 packages
25 22965 ebuilds
26
27 lagging stats broken compared to the # of packages keyworded (in any
28 form) for that arch.
29
30 Arch 'lagging' # of pkgs available % of available lagging.
31 ========= ========= =================== =======================
32 m68k 37 477 7.7%
33 ppc-macos 56 499 11.2%
34 sh 84 1313 6.3%
35 s390 87 1183 7.3%
36 arm 120 1577 7.6%
37 sparc 155 5739 2.7%
38 hppa 176 2432 7.2%
39 ia64 221 3378 6.5%
40 ppc64 278 3403 8.1%
41 mips 292 1720 16.9%
42 ppc 359 8723 4.1%
43 alpha 361 3720 9.7%
44 amd64 413 9712 4.2%
45 x86 560 11360 4.9%
48 arch % total lagging
49 ========= =================
50 mips 16.9
51 ppc-macos 11.2
52 alpha 9.7
53 ppc64 8.1
54 m68k 7.7
55 arm 7.6
56 s390 7.3
57 hppa 7.2
58 ia64 6.5
59 sh 6.3
60 x86 4.9
61 amd64 4.2
62 ppc 4.1
63 sparc 2.7
66 Since the complaint is regarding getting packages keyworded on mips in
67 a timely fashion, stats above are useful, but knowing the breakdown of
68 unstable only vs mixed keywords per package is useful.
69
70 In other words, above is close, but doesn't filter out the unstable;
71 complaints (aside from broken depgraph) have typically been that
72 getting things stabled is a pita for mips.
75 Arch # of pkgs unstable only # % stable in some form
76 ========= ========= ============= ==== =====================
77 m68k 477 21 456 95.5
78 ppc-macos 499 324 175 35.0
79 sh 1313 63 1250 95.2
80 s390 1183 99 1084 91.6
81 arm 1577 147 1430 90.6
82 sparc 5739 1326 4413 76.8
83 hppa 2432 463 1969 80.9
84 ia64 3378 433 2945 87.1
85 ppc64 3403 508 2823 85.0
86 mips 1720 483 1237 71.9
87 ppc 8723 3045 5678 65.0
88 alpha 3720 348 3372 90.6
89 amd64 9712 3406 6306 64.9
90 x86 11360 2780 8580 75.5
93 since results are relevant to stable targets only, we rebase the given
94 'lagging' stats to only the mixed (at least partially stabled for that
95 arch) pkg sets.
96
97 Arch lagging stable # % of stable visible
98 ========== ======= ======== ===================
99 ppc-macos 56 175 32.0
100 mips 292 1237 23.6
101 alpha 361 3372 10.7
102 ppc64 278 2823 9.8
103 hppa 176 1969 8.9
104 arm 120 1430 8.3
105 m68k 37 456 8.1
106 s390 87 1084 8.0
107 ia64 221 2945 7.5
108 sh 84 1250 6.7
109 x86 560 8580 6.5
110 ppc 359 5678 6.3
111 amd64 413 6306 5.7
112 sparc 155 4413 3.5
115 > As expected, supporting minority archs is leading to tree-wide bloat
116 > and huge initial rsync times for users. Clearly something has to be
117 > done to protect Gentoo from those useless minority archs! I mean, how
118 > many users do we *really* have using amd64 or x86?
119
120 Actually digging into the data rather then doing the "lies, damn lies,
121 and statistics" approach shows a pattern of mips having a large % of
122 their stable packages lagging the others.
123
124 Granted, ppc-macos has more, but mips has 7x the number of packages...
125 plus ppc-macos is effectively a dead arch, they've gone on to prefix
126 land for the most part.
127
128 Regarding "minority arches", look at arm, s390, hell, even hppa. They
129 all have a decent selection of stabled (in some form) packages
130 available (exceeding mips), and they're in line with the rough mean
131 for % unstable. Hard to argue arm/s390/hppa are 'mainline' arches
132 also.
133
134 Again; the complaints are regarding mips lagging in keywording; while
135 this data doesn't include average time for getting something stabled
136 with them, it is mildly damning in terms of how much they're lagging
137 for their packages.
138
139 Additionally, note to eroyf; this isn't intended as a criticism of
140 your work, since you've been bringing the mips percentage down. That
141 said, their *is* a disparity there compared to the other arches.
142
143 Aside from that, aparently props should be given to sparc; seem to be
144 on top of things.
145
146 Either way, data to chew on.
147