From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for getting rid of udev
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 04:06:32
1 On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:14:31AM -0400, Olivier Cr?te wrote
2
3 > We're imposing our deep integration because it's the only way to make a
4 > compelling platform that "just works", forcing users to tell the
5 > computer something the computer already knows is just plain lazy and
6 > stupid.
7
8 Eventually, that hits Mac or Windows-like levels of dictating 1 or 2
9 sets of choices and nothing else. If I wanted Mac or Windows, I'd be
10 running Mac or Windows. If the developers don't deliberately make my
11 system break if /usr and /var aren't physically on / (and no initramfs),
12 I'm willing to do a bit of extra work to configure things my way.
13 Speaking of tight integration, what happens if Redhat's employees make
14 udev depend on systemd?
17 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>