From: Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:21:50
1 On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 15:57 -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Stephen P. Becker wrote:
3 >
4 > >>> Shouldn't this fall under the x86 arch team rather than releng? The
5 > >>
6 > >>
7 > >>
8 > >> I'm sorry, but *what* x86 arch team?
11 > > That's the point. Ciaran is just pointing out for the gazillionth
12 > > time that x86 is an unsupported arch, if you go by the standards the
13 > > other arches have to follow to be part of Gentoo. When is this going
14 > > to be fixed? Or, will it just be ignored until all the x86 folks get
15 > > amd64 machines and x86 pretty much becomes irrelevant?
16 > >
17 > > Is this also a good time to note that the amd64 and x86 could *easily*
18 > > be covered under the same keyword? We cover a large variety of mips
19 > > machines/userlands under one keyword, with differences much more
20 > > significant then that between x86 and amd64.
21 > >
22 > > -Steve
23 >
24 > Any how many more x86 users are there than MIPS users to hit problems?
25 > How much worse is the QA in the x86/amd64 tree than the MIPS tree? I'm
26 > not trying to bash either team here, just pointing out the facts.
27 >
28 > Alec Warner (antarus)
29
30 I belive the worse QA is in x86 and not in AMD64 and MIPS. Between AMD64
31 and x86 there's a lot of differences i.e. many packages in the tree that
32 needs to be patched to work on AMD64 so we cannot cover AMD64/x86 under
33 the same keyword.
34 During this time i belive that the AMD64 arch team is doing QA job for
35 x86 arch too. Thanks to our Arch Testers we can test, patch and improve
36 the quality of the packages for AMD64 and for x86 too. I Belive that
37 MIPS team is doing the same thing they test packages then mark stable if
38 the packages are really stable.
39 --
40 Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o>
41 http://dev.gentoo.org/~metalgod
42 Gentoo Linux Developer: AMD64,Printing,app-cdr
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list