From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should "server" be a global use flag?
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 19:00:48
1 Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 May 2011 11:27:18 -0500
3 > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> Jeroen Roovers wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> (I find myself wondering why so much information is being jammed
9 >>> into USE flag descriptions that /should/ be available in HOWTOs from
10 >>> upstream, or else should be written down in HOWTOs we maintain
11 >>> ourselves - we (Gentoo) used to be good at providing HOWTOs as
12 >>> needed and it's a good tradition to keep up. It helps the entire
13 >>> open source community and not just our users, too.)
14 >>>
15 >>> Anyway, count the YESs above. Maybe some people want to
16 >>> comment/explain/defend how they wrote their descriptions, so don't
17 >>> touch them just yet. :)
18 >>>
19 >
20 >> The reason the info is there is so that users, like me, know what the
21 >> USE flag is for. Me personally, I still think some of them don't
22 >> help much and need more info but it is better than it used to be.
23 >> So, if you can make them shorter and users still able to figure out
24 >> what they do, great. If not, then the info needs to stay. Us users
25 >> need it.
26 >>
27 > What the hell are you talking about? *I* am a user... Please make a
28 > direct point in reply to my superficial criticism on each USE=server
29 > flag or reply to what you quoted above. I don't see anything
30 > constructive or relevant in your reply. You seem to argue that I can
31 > somehow technically or magically derive a USE flag's meaning whereas
32 > you cannot. If you want to defend that, then start a new thread.
35 > jer
39 I was talking about what you wrote and I quoted above in my reply.
40 Since you want to have the attitude you have, please disregard my reply
41 and I guess another reply to mine which agreed with me and even
42 elaborated on the point I made. I guess the two if us misread what you
43 wrote.
44
45 Sorry to have wrinkled your feathers.
46
47 Dale
48