From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should "server" be a global use flag?
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 18:29:51
1 On Mon, 23 May 2011 11:27:18 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Jeroen Roovers wrote:
5 > >
6 > > (I find myself wondering why so much information is being jammed
7 > > into USE flag descriptions that /should/ be available in HOWTOs from
8 > > upstream, or else should be written down in HOWTOs we maintain
9 > > ourselves - we (Gentoo) used to be good at providing HOWTOs as
10 > > needed and it's a good tradition to keep up. It helps the entire
11 > > open source community and not just our users, too.)
12 > >
13 > > Anyway, count the YESs above. Maybe some people want to
14 > > comment/explain/defend how they wrote their descriptions, so don't
15 > > touch them just yet. :)
16
17 > The reason the info is there is so that users, like me, know what the
18 > USE flag is for. Me personally, I still think some of them don't
19 > help much and need more info but it is better than it used to be.
20 > So, if you can make them shorter and users still able to figure out
21 > what they do, great. If not, then the info needs to stay. Us users
22 > need it.
23
24 What the hell are you talking about? *I* am a user... Please make a
25 direct point in reply to my superficial criticism on each USE=server
26 flag or reply to what you quoted above. I don't see anything
27 constructive or relevant in your reply. You seem to argue that I can
28 somehow technically or magically derive a USE flag's meaning whereas
29 you cannot. If you want to defend that, then start a new thread.
32 jer