From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PS2 and Gentoo Linux
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 20:36:20
1 Vicente García Diez wrote:
2 > Hi all.
3 >
4 > Thanks for your answer. I see that It's funny an It's possible :)
5 >
6 > But, why can't use a 2.6.X kernel in a PS2¿
7 >
8 > Thanks in advance :)
9
10 Because the 2.6 kernel hasn't been ported yet. The PS2's processor is a
11 really unique chunk of silicon. It's labelled an 'R5900' by Toshiba, the
12 chip's manufacturer, but this can be misleading, somewhat, as most R5x00-class
13 CPUs are in the MIPS-IV, while the R5900 is really a MIPS-III w/ several
14 MIPS-IV (but not all) available to it.
15
16 According to a single post on the playstation2-linux.com forums, there is
17 somewhere, some person or small group working on a 2.6 port, but I don't hold
18 out much hope that this port will be finished before the PS2 is relegated to
19 legacy status. A better bet is Linux support on the upcoming Sony PSP, which
20 has dual R4000 cores (@ 133MHz), and is very similar in design to the PS2.
23 --Kumba
26 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small
27 hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."
28 --Elrond
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list