From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, gentoo-scm@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo git workflows and the stabilization/keywording process
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:19:57
1 Hi!
2
3 On Thu, 18 Sep 2014, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
5 > >>>>>> On Thu, 18 Sep 2014, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> However, one aspect of how ebuilds are written these days will
8 > >> cause a non-trivial amount of merge commits that are not actually
9 > >> useful in that sense.
12 > Git can do merge conflict markers just like cvs. Also, in practice I
13 > don't tend to run into merge conflicts with cvs - I always do a
14 > directory update before making changes. With git I'd probably not do
15 > a pull if I were working on an obscure pacakge, but if I were doing a
16 > security keywording I'd certainly do a pull before touching anything
17 > since the likelihood of a conflict is much higher.
18
19 The problem isn't the conflict markers. The problem is that with
20 git, by the time I have a conflict, I also have a local commit
21 that I have to roll back or turn into a merge, which means extra
22 work.
23
24 > Git even allows the use of tools like meld to resolve conflicts,
25 > besides the usual fill-the-file-with-diffs-to-cleanup approach.
28 > > If this should really turn out to be a problem, then we could also:
29 > >
30 > > 4) Replace git's default merge driver by our own one that is better
31 > > suited for ebuilds. This can be done per repository via .git/config
32 > > and .gitattributes.
35 > Certainly that would be even more helpful!
36
37 Still, all of these scenarios cause merge commits, which some
38 people seem to be rather allergic to (and I do agree that nothing
39 of use is actually merged, since two stabilizations/keywordings
40 are usually orthogonal).
41
42 Regards,
43 Tobias