From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] default desktop profile
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:33:44
1 On 8/2/07, Martin Schwier <martin@×××××××.cc> wrote:
2 > Hello developers,
3 >
4 > today I posted a bug (187475) about a minor issue about the useflag
5 > libnotify not beeing in the default desktop profile. Me was told that
6 > this sould be discussed on gentoo-dev. I can't really understand why
7 > such a minor issue have to be discussed among all developers as there
8 > are certainly much more importand things to do.
9 >
10 > Beeing a user I have the feeling that bugs concerning such minor issues
11 > aren't welcome among the gentoo developers. I consider it important for
12 > gentoo to regard such details too achieve a more polished gnome desktop
13 > experience by default as we have now.
14 >
15 > To come to the bug, I'll comment Jakub Moc's last comment:
16 >
17 > > As said above - bloating default profiles even more goes to gentoo-dev mailing
18 > > list, so that people could comment. I for one am already annoyed enough by the
19 > > nonsense being added there, such as USE=kerberos or USE=ldap.
20 >
21 > I agree that there is too much enabled by default, but other things are
22 > missing. I personally need kerberos and ldap but that shouldn't be the
23 > default for most singel-user desktop installations.
24 >
25 > So, these are my proposed changes for the default desktop profile:
26 >
27 > +bash-completion
28 > +bluetooth
29
30 Most Probably dont have/want bluetooth. I know at most 1 linux users
31 who would use it.
32 > +ffmpeg (totem isn't much without it)
33 > +libnotify (gives very nice popup notifications in many programs instead
34 > of an annoying, workflow interrupting dialog box with an OK button)
35 > +ppds (everyone has a printer, and this is needed to configure it
36 > without further investigations. cups is already in)
37
38 No, not everyone has a printer :P
39 > +startup-notification
40 > -fortran (not 1% of the desktop users need fortran and it speeds up
41 > the compile)
42 > -kerberos
43 > -ldap
44 I just turned these off myself. Why?,, i like compiling for hours with
45 emerge --newuse ;)
46 The millions of lines of text make me feel geeky ;) ( lol )
47
48 > I'm curious about your comments,
49 >
50 > --
51 > Martin Schwier
52 > Gentoo user ;)
53 > --
54 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
60 Kent
61 ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
62 print "enNOSPicAMreil kdrtf@×××.com"[(2*x)..(2*x+1)]}'
63 --
64 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list