From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: repoman feature request / profiles.desc profile types
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 19:29:48
1 On 02/17/2014 05:36 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Sonntag, 16. Februar 2014, 18:18:56 schrieb Michael Palimaka:
3 >> On 02/17/2014 03:58 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >>> Why not make it possible to keep an ~arch only deptree consistent?!
5 >>
6 >> amd64-fbsd already does this with a stable profile. They just choose to
7 >> not actually have any stable keywords.
8 >> In my opinion, the profile type is better as a description of that
9 >> profile, rather than a signifier of what keywords are permitted.
10 >
11 > I agree with that, but that's not how it was historically used / intended to
12 > be used.
15 Let's change the historical meaning then - it really doesn't stray too
16 far from the existing documented policy[1]. :-)
17
18 In my opinion the change more accurately reflects reality. Profile
19 status has no actual effect on keywords (that policy is set and
20 self-enforced by arch teams anyway), but does affect how repoman checks it.
21
22 [1]: http://devmanual.gentoo.org/profiles/profiles.desc/index.html