From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] eclectic-0.9.1
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 22:35:18
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Very cool. Good work gentlemen.
5
6 On May 7, 2005, at 4:37 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
7
8 > On Sat, 07 May 2005 22:37:22 +0200 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
9 > wrote:
10 > | During the last few months, ciaranm, ka0ttic, slarti and me have been
11 > | working on "eclectic" [1], a modular administration and configuration
12 > | framework for Gentoo. Eclectic is completely written in bash and
13 > | unifies different tasks in one tool with a consistent user
14 > interfaces.
15 >
16 > Might as well post a sample module... This one's the kernel symlink
17 > manager thingie, which I wrote mainly as a test / demo thing but it can
18 > be vaguely useful too:
19 >
20 > http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/*checkout*/eclectic/trunk/modules/
21 > kernel.eclectic
22 >
23 > Note the ebuild-like format that should be nice and easy for everyone
25 > get their heads around.
26 >
27 > So what's this like from a user perspective?
28 >
29 > ciaranm@snowdrop ~ 0 2.30 $ eclectic kernel
30 > Usage: eclectic kernel <action> <options>
31 >
32 > Standard actions:
33 > help Display help text
34 > usage Display usage information
35 > version Display version information
36 >
37 > Extra actions:
38 > list List available kernel symlink targets
39 > set Set a new kernel symlink target
40 > show Show the current kernel symlink
41 >
42 > ciaranm@snowdrop ~ 0 2.30 $ eclectic kernel show
43 > Current kernel symlink:
44 > linux-2.6.12-rc1
45 > ciaranm@snowdrop ~ 0 2.10 $ eclectic kernel list
46 > Available kernel symlink targets:
47 > [1] linux-2.6.10
48 > [2] linux-2.6.11
49 > [3] linux-2.6.11-rc5
50 > [4] linux-2.6.12-rc1
51 > ciaranm@snowdrop ~ 0 2.01 $ sudo eclectic kernel set 1
52 > ciaranm@snowdrop ~ 0 2.01 $ eclectic kernel show
53 > Current kernel symlink:
54 > linux-2.6.10
55 >
56 > It's all in colour, of course.
57 >
58 > But wait, it gets sneakier. Say we install a kernel-config symlink to
59 > eclectic. Then this will also work:
60 >
61 > ciaranm@snowdrop ~ 0 1.50 $ kernel-config list
62 > Available kernel symlink targets:
63 > [1] linux-2.6.10
64 > [2] linux-2.6.11
65 > [3] linux-2.6.11-rc5
66 > [4] linux-2.6.12-rc1
67 >
68 > I added this sneaky little hack in that checks the binary name, and if
69 > it's foo-config or foo-update, it treats it as eclectic foo [...]. So
70 > you don't even get to whine about the stupid name :)
71 >
72 > By the way, this could also implement GLEP 24 (consistent tool naming).
73 > See, if you run eclectic with no arguments:
74 >
75 > ciaranm@snowdrop ~ 0 1.36 $ eclectic
76 > Usage: eclectic <module name> <options>
77 >
78 > Built-in modules:
79 > help Display a help message
80 > list-modules Find and display available modules
81 > usage Display a usage message
82 > version Display version information
83 >
84 > Extra modules:
85 > bashcomp Manage contributed bash-completion scripts
86 > blas Manage installed BLAS implementations.
87 > kernel Manage the /usr/src/linux symlink
88 > lapack Manage installed LAPACK implementations.
89 > mailer Manage the mailwrapper profiles in
90 > /etc/mail
91 > profile Manage the /etc/make.profile symlink
92 >
93 > Automagically generated list of all the modules available.
94 >
95 > *shrug* it's probably full of bugs still.
96 >
97 > | There is a both a developer guide and a user guide as RST shipped
98 > with
99 > | the source.
100 >
101 > Rendered versions here for the lazy:
102 >
103 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm/tmp/eclectic/
104 >
105 > | * What do we need to accomplish to get the status of an "Official
106 > | Gentoo Project" ? Is a manager voting necessary ?
107 >
108 > I'm staying out of this one...
109 >
110 > Oh, we have an IRC channel if you have development questions. You can
111 > figure out the name easily enough :)
112 >
113 > --
114 > Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
115 > Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
116 > Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
117 >
127 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list