From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] eclectic-0.9.1
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 21:37:18
1 On Sat, 07 May 2005 22:37:22 +0200 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | During the last few months, ciaranm, ka0ttic, slarti and me have been
4 | working on "eclectic" [1], a modular administration and configuration
5 | framework for Gentoo. Eclectic is completely written in bash and
6 | unifies different tasks in one tool with a consistent user interfaces.
7
8 Might as well post a sample module... This one's the kernel symlink
9 manager thingie, which I wrote mainly as a test / demo thing but it can
10 be vaguely useful too:
11
12 http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/*checkout*/eclectic/trunk/modules/kernel.eclectic
13
14 Note the ebuild-like format that should be nice and easy for everyone to
15 get their heads around.
16
17 So what's this like from a user perspective?
18
19 ciaranm@snowdrop ~ 0 2.30 $ eclectic kernel
20 Usage: eclectic kernel <action> <options>
21
22 Standard actions:
23 help Display help text
24 usage Display usage information
25 version Display version information
26
27 Extra actions:
28 list List available kernel symlink targets
29 set Set a new kernel symlink target
30 show Show the current kernel symlink
31
32 ciaranm@snowdrop ~ 0 2.30 $ eclectic kernel show
33 Current kernel symlink:
34 linux-2.6.12-rc1
35 ciaranm@snowdrop ~ 0 2.10 $ eclectic kernel list
36 Available kernel symlink targets:
37 [1] linux-2.6.10
38 [2] linux-2.6.11
39 [3] linux-2.6.11-rc5
40 [4] linux-2.6.12-rc1
41 ciaranm@snowdrop ~ 0 2.01 $ sudo eclectic kernel set 1
42 ciaranm@snowdrop ~ 0 2.01 $ eclectic kernel show
43 Current kernel symlink:
44 linux-2.6.10
45
46 It's all in colour, of course.
47
48 But wait, it gets sneakier. Say we install a kernel-config symlink to
49 eclectic. Then this will also work:
50
51 ciaranm@snowdrop ~ 0 1.50 $ kernel-config list
52 Available kernel symlink targets:
53 [1] linux-2.6.10
54 [2] linux-2.6.11
55 [3] linux-2.6.11-rc5
56 [4] linux-2.6.12-rc1
57
58 I added this sneaky little hack in that checks the binary name, and if
59 it's foo-config or foo-update, it treats it as eclectic foo [...]. So
60 you don't even get to whine about the stupid name :)
61
62 By the way, this could also implement GLEP 24 (consistent tool naming).
63 See, if you run eclectic with no arguments:
64
65 ciaranm@snowdrop ~ 0 1.36 $ eclectic
66 Usage: eclectic <module name> <options>
67
68 Built-in modules:
69 help Display a help message
70 list-modules Find and display available modules
71 usage Display a usage message
72 version Display version information
73
74 Extra modules:
75 bashcomp Manage contributed bash-completion scripts
76 blas Manage installed BLAS implementations.
77 kernel Manage the /usr/src/linux symlink
78 lapack Manage installed LAPACK implementations.
79 mailer Manage the mailwrapper profiles in /etc/mail
80 profile Manage the /etc/make.profile symlink
81
82 Automagically generated list of all the modules available.
83
84 *shrug* it's probably full of bugs still.
85
86 | There is a both a developer guide and a user guide as RST shipped with
87 | the source.
88
89 Rendered versions here for the lazy:
90
91 http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm/tmp/eclectic/
92
93 | * What do we need to accomplish to get the status of an "Official
94 | Gentoo Project" ? Is a manager voting necessary ?
95
96 I'm staying out of this one...
97
98 Oh, we have an IRC channel if you have development questions. You can
99 figure out the name easily enough :)
102 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
103 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
104 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm