From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PYTHON_DEPEND in EAPI >=4, PYTHON_BDEPEND
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 04:14:32
1 On 11/28/2010 02:15 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 08:32:16PM +0100, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
3 >> I would like to introduce incompatible improvements in syntax of PYTHON_DEPEND variable in
4 >> EAPI>=4. The new syntax will depend on whether given package supports installation for
5 >> multiple Python ABIs. The extended functionality will replace PYTHON_USE_WITH* variables.
6 >>
7 >> [...]
8 >
9 > Your changes are far too complicated to me. Python eclass and
10 > consequently writing python ebuilds is a difficult task already.
11 > If you keep adding more and more "magic" in this eclass,
12 > you will end up supporting and fixing all the python ebuilds by
13 > yourself. Maybe you should consider splitting python eclass
14 > into two separate modules. One for core functionality and
15 > another one which will inherit this core eclass and export
16 > a simple API so the rest of us can use python eclass without
17 > having to study all the documentation for a month.
20 Ditto, I've already stopped caring about python ebuilds in Gentoo Linux.
21 -Jeremy