From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuilds for kde3 beta etc.
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 19:51:19
1 On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 09:19:43PM +0100, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
2 > If we want to create a distributions for everyone we have to go around
3 > to make users don't hurt themeselfs. Since users _will_ do bad things to
4 > there own systems if they are able to. And if so, masking and comments
5 > are not enough, imho.
6
7 As I pointed out in my reply to Geert, Linux doesn't have much red tape.
8 There's nothing stopping root from typing "rm -rf /", so I think that a
9 very clear and explicitly spooky warning in package.mask is appropriate.
10 Yes, this is sufficient. Anyone who can't be trusted to read a clear
11 warning in package.mask and respect it either shouldn't have root access,
12 or should be trusted to deal with any potential badness that may happen.
13
14 I think the best motto is "inform the user, and then trust them to make the
15 right decision." Will all users thus informed make the right decision? No.
16 But the vast majority will.
17
18 Best Regards,
21 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>