From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>
Cc: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>, Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 02:25:05
1 On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 12:15:00AM +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Friday 03 October 2003 11:58 pm, Kurt Lieber wrote:
6 > > I would be quite violently opposed to removing kernel sources entirely from
7 > > portage. genkernel may be nice as an option for users who wish it. Do not
8 > > force me to use it, however.
9 > Is there any reason the Linux sources need to be included as an ebuild any
10 > more than, for example, the sources for Portage or Apache? You could always
11 > use ebuild to unpack into /var/tmp/portage and do the compile step yourself.
12 > However, I do think it would be a good idea to have some way of installing the
13 > source for any ebuild into /usr/src. Maybe Portage can check and if the
14 > package name ends with -src, it trims it, only does an unpack and merges the
15 > - -src to /usr/src/ebuildname or something?
16
17 Yes. Because what you're suggesting is basically just to make genkernel
18 default behavior - when the install guide already suggests using it.
19
20 You're not suggesting anything that provides a tangible benefit, you're
21 just suggesting expanding our tree to do something we already do. That
22 doesn't make sense.
25 Jon Portnoy
26 avenj/irc.freenode.net
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list