From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Copyright issues (Was: udev-ng?)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 18:45:55
1 On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > The last time someone from Gentoo spoke to a copyright lawyer, it
4 > resulted in a year-or-so-long ban on recruiting anyone, and everyone
5 > was supposed to sign a piece of paper agreeing to turn over all their
6 > floppy disks and monitors to drobbins upon request.
7
8 Hence my comment on risk management. The only way to be safe is to
9 not get anything done. The same is true of avoiding kicking off
10 projects that tick people off - the only way to do that is to
11 effectively not have any more projects (after everybody gives up on
12 the process).
13
14 I'm sure Gentoo's risk balance can be improved, but the fact is that
15 in this day and age, writing software entails legal risk, just like
16 helping somebody cross the street.
17
18 If Gentoo were trying to monetize/dual-license/etc then the benefits
19 of airtight copyright assignments would be greater, as would be the
20 benefit of telling anybody in the EU that their help simply isn't
21 needed unless they can convince their parliaments to change their
22 laws. As a community distro, however, we have a different set of
23 priorities.
24
25 I think the key is to understand the risk that we're taking, and the
26 benefits of changing things.
27
28 Rich