From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Concerns about WIPE_TMP change
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:45:22
1 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> posted
2 200801210005.29587.vapier@g.o, excerpted below, on Mon, 21 Jan
3 2008 00:05:29 -0500:
4
5 > another point: i dont think ive ever met anyone who even knew what the
6 > Windows temp directory was or even how to find it. no one relies on
7 > that directory to manage their files.
8
9 Well, you've (virtually, anyway) met one now.
10
11 Back when I ran on MS, I always made it a point of setting both TMP and
12 TEMP to a dedicated temp partition, a practice that saved my *** at least
13 once, during the IE4 betas when MS pulled a trick that had people ending
14 up with IE's cache index crosslinked with multiple other files, costing
15 folks various documents and/or drivers, etc (there were reports of both)
16 in the process. Since I'd decided IE's cache was temp data and had it on
17 my temp partition (along with TEMP/TMP), the only data it could corrupt
18 was other temp files. =8^)
19
20 Of course, the other advantage of a separate temp partition was that in
21 the event of a crash, the only files generally open were temp files,
22 thus, the only partition that generally had to be scandisked was the
23 relatively small and quickly scanned temp partition. =8^)
24
25 So such people are out there...
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
33 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list