From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:46:52
1 On 3/23/06, Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o> wrote:
2 > That is not what Stuart said, he indicated that overlays would be treated as
3 > supported systems including the use of our bugzilla system to track defects.
4 > If that is the case it crosses the line into the land of the "official" in
5 > which case policys start to be applied.
6
7 We do need to apply policies to the overlays. We can't have an
8 absolute free-for-all. Projects and individual developers need to be
9 responsible for their overlays - just like they are responsible for
10 the packages they add to the tree.
11
12 But we are not going to treat overlays like they're the Portage tree.
13 That would undermine the whole point of having the overlays in the
14 first place, and would bring zero benefit to our users and our
15 developers.
16
17 They are different, and they require a different approach.
18
19 Best regards,
20 Stu
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list