From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:14:46
1 On Thursday 23 March 2006 13:57, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:31:24 +0100 "Stefan Schweizer"
4 > >
5 > > <genstef@g.o> wrote:
6 > > | What about if we just skip your "policies" and let the overlays be a
7 > > | free place where people can handle issues how they think it is right
8 > > | for the specific case and not how $super_dev said somewhere. That is
9 > > | what overlays are about, not?
10 > >
11 > > Sounds like a perfect way to break lots and lots of systems. Those
12 > > policies are mostly there for good reason.
13 >
14 > You want to apply policies on overlays? Well no - sorry, overlays are
15 > none of QA's or any other policy business. They are overlays, not
16 > official tree. If user installs ebuilds from overlay and breaks his
17 > system, then well - not a Gentoo problem. Why should any policies apply?
18
19 That is not what Stuart said, he indicated that overlays would be treated as
20 supported systems including the use of our bugzilla system to track defects.
21 If that is the case it crosses the line into the land of the "official" in
22 which case policys start to be applied. While I agree that it would be very
23 useful to have any overlays centrally located I do find the term "Official
24 overlay" to be insanely oxymoronic in your use of the term overlay, which I
25 gather to be "a set of ebuilds not bound by the QA and/or security
26 requirements of the portage tree".
27
28 If I understand correctly what you are pushing then is a Official overlay
29 respository for Unofficial overlays....
30
31 You can't have it both ways, either they are wholey Unofficial and do not get
32 tracked in bugzilla at all (something which would have to be made VERY clear
33 to our users, e.g. a you use it you get to keep the pieces policy, and the
34 developer or team in question is the *only* point of contact for fixing
35 things) -or- it is an Official overlay with official support which means it
36 needs to abide by the rules...
39 Daniel Ostrow
40 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
41 Gentoo/{PPC,PPC64,DevRel}