From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LLVM static libs
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 21:14:44
1 On Sun, 2015-09-20 at 22:32 +0200, Jauhien Piatlicki wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > the first question is addressed both to llvm-dev and gentoo-dev. The
5 > second one is Gentoo specific.
6 >
7 > Is there any possibility to build LLVM both as static and shared libraries?
8 >
9 > What I see currently is that our ebuild makes LLVM to build shared libs
10 > unconditionally. Is there a possibility (if it is impossible to build
11 > both lib types) to at least give to user control on what kind of libs he
12 > will have?
13
14 I don't quite understand why you are asking all of gentoo-dev about this.
15
16 Just create a bug in our bugzilla, ask for USE=static-libs to be supported in
17 llvm, assign to llvm maintainers.
18
19 Generally, the reason most ebuilds don't have support for static libraries is
20 not because it's impossible, but because it's extra work for the maintainer
21 which will probably never benefit anyone. Of course if you discover that some
22 users really do need a static version of a library, then you try to support it
23 in your ebuild. (But there are exceptions - gtk+ for example - where static
24 libraries really cannot be supported due to upstream architectural decisions.)