From: Panagiotis Christopoulos <pchrist@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Devmanual text on ChangeLogs
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 11:22:30
1 On 11:07 Sat 30 Apr , Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I won't clutter ChangeLogs with useless entries for whitespace changes
4 > or spelling fixes in comments, for example. They already account for a
5 > considerable (too large?) percentage of the portage tree [1], and we
6 > shouldn't blow them up further by adding useless information.
7 > ...
8
9 Taking the latest portage snapshot from a mirror, the sum* of the apparent
10 sizes of all its files (forgetting directories, filesystems. overhead
11 etc.) is ~189Mb. The sum of ChangeLog files is ~66Mb, that is a ~35%
12 fraction.
13 Yes, I know this doesn't say much and I don't know the internals of
14 the rsync protocol (someone can say that communication lines are now better,
15 and cpu processing/disk space costs less than water/oil etc. so what
16 are we talking about?), however it is a fact, if anyone cares. If I
17 find a 1-year old portage snapshot I may calculate better statistics based
18 on fixed number of ChangeLogs that existed then and now to see how they
19 increased over the time.
20
21 *doing very quick calculations
22 --