From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: converting copyright/license information in OpenRC
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 15:31:20
1 On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA512
4 >
5 > On 16/12/15 13:39, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >> I don't see how this is dishonest.
7 > You answered this yourself,
8 >
9 >> They'll just be credited side-by-side with everybody else in once
10 >> place.
11
12 How is this dishonest? I see how it is less granular in one
13 particular format. All the current OpenRC authors will be credited.
14 The granular details of their contributions will still be present in
15 git, even if it is hard to access.
16
17 We just won't credit them in the individual file they contributed to.
18
19 Is there some practical situation where you see this as being
20 disadvantageous to a contributor? If I'm an employer looking to hire
21 somebody, knowing they contributed to openrc is probably as useful to
22 knowing they contributed to /lib64/rc/bin/service_starting. If I
23 REALLY care about the specific nature of their contributions, I'm
24 going to care what their actual commits were, and for that matter if
25 they were of a high quality. It seems like the current system is an
26 intermediate level of detail that doesn't seem useful, just cumbersome
27 (in the opinion of the maintainers - it isn't like I have to maintain
28 this stuff).
29
30 The other side of this is that you could argue that the openrc
31 maintainers might be able to just save themselves some headaches and
32 not host this stuff on Gentoo infra, and then they can just do
33 whatever they want. It isn't like we tell the sysvinit maintainers
34 how to manage their code, and it isn't like Gentoo is the only distro
35 that uses openrc.
39 Rich