From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Requirements for UID/GID management
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 21:30:18
1 On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 15:34:01 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 2:32 PM, James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 12:13:53 -0600
6 > > "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> Having a file that user.eclass would use to map new users/groups to
9 > >> IDs would be extremely beneficial to me. I was thinking about diving
10 > >> in to that some time later, after the GLEP 70 work I'm doing, but if
11 > >> someone else wants to take it - please! That would greatly ease the
12 > >> pain of not only NFS, but swapping data disks around between different /
13 > >> .
14 > >>
15 > >> Consider, for example, one of my use cases for this: I have a
16 > >> LibreSSL / that I use solely for testing ebuilds against it, and my
17 > >> regular / with OpenSSL. I share /home and /srv between these two, but
18 > >> the apache, nginx, and charybdis users have different UIDs between
19 > >> them. Therefore I have to chown -R each time I test LibreSSL.
20 > >>
21 > >> I could use a different /home and /srv, or make two copies, but it's
22 > >> much easier for me to test these apps having my entire normal
23 > >> environment available to me.
24 > >
25 > > As mentioned in my other post, why are you not using idmapd? It's
26 > > trivial to set up on top of NFSv4.
27 >
28 > As far as I can tell there is no Gentoo-specific documentation for
29 > doing this, and from what I have read setting up NFSv4 is a PITA
30 > (perhaps that has changed in recent years). There are also use cases
31 > that don't involve NFS, such as containers. From the docs I have
32 > found on idmapd there wasn't actually a lot of detail, it wasn't clear
33 > if it "just works" without any specific configuration, perhaps it
34 > does.
35
36 The only common complaints I can recall about NFSv4 over v3 are having
37 to export everything under a single root directory and needing to set
38 fsid against each export for some inexplicable reason. Just bind mount
39 everything you want to export and set a different fsid number against
40 each export line. It's odd when you're used to v3 but really not that
41 hard. I've been using it for years and found it to be faster and more
42 reliable.
43
44 As for idmapd, this is my entire configuration file. I don't even think
45 the last section is necessary. Configure and start it on every node. It
46 really does just work.
47
48 [General]
49 Domain = aura-online.co.uk
50
51 [Mapping]
52 Nobody-User = nobody
53 Nobody-Group = nobody
54
55 [Translation]
56 Method = nsswitch
57
58 > In any case, would it be that hard to set reasonable defaults?
59
60 I do think this idea is a good one. I just wasn't buying the enterprise
61 argument and was surprised that no one had even mentioned idmapd.
64 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
65 Gentoo Linux Developer