From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Requirements for UID/GID management
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 20:34:20
1 On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 2:32 PM, James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 12:13:53 -0600
3 > "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Having a file that user.eclass would use to map new users/groups to
6 >> IDs would be extremely beneficial to me. I was thinking about diving
7 >> in to that some time later, after the GLEP 70 work I'm doing, but if
8 >> someone else wants to take it - please! That would greatly ease the
9 >> pain of not only NFS, but swapping data disks around between different /
10 >> .
11 >>
12 >> Consider, for example, one of my use cases for this: I have a
13 >> LibreSSL / that I use solely for testing ebuilds against it, and my
14 >> regular / with OpenSSL. I share /home and /srv between these two, but
15 >> the apache, nginx, and charybdis users have different UIDs between
16 >> them. Therefore I have to chown -R each time I test LibreSSL.
17 >>
18 >> I could use a different /home and /srv, or make two copies, but it's
19 >> much easier for me to test these apps having my entire normal
20 >> environment available to me.
21 >
22 > As mentioned in my other post, why are you not using idmapd? It's
23 > trivial to set up on top of NFSv4.
24
25 As far as I can tell there is no Gentoo-specific documentation for
26 doing this, and from what I have read setting up NFSv4 is a PITA
27 (perhaps that has changed in recent years). There are also use cases
28 that don't involve NFS, such as containers. From the docs I have
29 found on idmapd there wasn't actually a lot of detail, it wasn't clear
30 if it "just works" without any specific configuration, perhaps it
31 does.
32
33 In any case, would it be that hard to set reasonable defaults?
36 Rich