From: Carlos Silva <r3pek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] multislot mysql
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:43:17
1 On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 10:19 +0000, Francesco Riosa wrote:
2 > Ok, I've been realized that having a slotted mysql is not the dream of
3 > every end user ... or developer.
4 >
5 > Anyway I prefere too keep the possibility to do a similar install.
6 >
7 > A good solution should be to add the "multislot" USE flag to the ebuild
8 > and let it to decide whenever make it slotted or not, sorry, this is not
9 > viable, yes it's already used by other important packages but not well
10 > supported by portage and should be used only in particular situations.
11 >
12 > The only thing that came in mind to me is to provide two series of
13 > ebuilds, with different revision ranges.
14 > The use flag "multislot" will still have a role, to make the ebuild fail
15 > during pkg_setup() if set on the wrong ebuild.
16 > It's possible to define the default ebuild to merge, assigning a greater
17 > revision number will make an ebuild the default installed, I suggest the
18 > un-slotted version to be the default.
19 >
20 > example:
21 >
22 > mysql-4.1.16-r[0..49] Need "+multislot"
23 > mysql-4.1.16-r[50..99] Need "-multislot"
24 > mysql-5.1.18-r[0..49] Need "+multislot"
25 > mysql-5.1.18-r[50..99] Need "-multislot"
26 >
27 > whoever want to have a slot version will need to mask revisions between
28 > 50 and 99 .
29 >
30 > The change will happen soon, between today and tomorrow, so toughts,
31 > flames and insults are well accepted.
32 >
33 > - Francesco R.
34 I really don't like this... It will give users more work to maintain
35 their systems... Managing /etc/portage/ isn't easy, and forcing the
36 users to use it, isn't good too. I speak for mysql:
37 r3pek@morpheus ~ $ cat /etc/portage/package.keywords | wc -l
38 53
39 ^^ And this was about 100 before i did a cleanup to it.
40
41 What i sugest is to create a diferent package, mysql-{slotted,}. You
42 guys from the mysql herd can use the same ebuils to both packages (the
43 content i mean) and just check the ${PN} for the slotted word to see if
44 the package is slotted or not....
45
46 Just my 0.02€
49 Carlos "r3pek" Silva
50 Gentoo Developer (kernel/amd64/mobile-phone)