From: Gregorio Guidi <greg_g@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] intention for kde-themes eclass
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:00:51
1 On Tuesday 14 June 2005 04:19, Brian Jackson wrote:
2 > Chris White wrote:
3 > > Here's the nitty gritty:
4 > >
5 > > ----------
6 > > BACKGROUND
7 > > ----------
8 > >
9 > > kde-look.org is a site that hosts various kde themes to change the look
10 > > and feel of the kde desktop.
11 > >
12 > > ---------
13 > > REASONING
14 > > ---------
15 > >
16 > > An eclass such as this would be benificial to users that want to create
17 > > custom ebuilds for various kde themes, as well as getting popular kde
18 > > themes into the portage tree.
19 >
20 > I actually half wrote a g-cpan.pl like thing for kde-look.org once. It
21 > could handle themes and wallpapers. I never got around to the rest. I think
22 > something like this would be better in the long run since the eclass will
23 > only serve to make people file more new ebuild bugs for stuff the kde team
24 > won't add.
25
26 I second that, that's exactly what I thought when I saw the proposal.
27 A few other points to consider:
28 - As Michael pointed out, kde-look.org already tries to be a
29 install-with-few-clicks portal, and kde is going more and more in this
30 direction with the integration in kde 4.
31 - Often there's no real consistency in content packaged on kde-look, users
32 just offer for public download things packaged as they feel.
33 - Projects appear and become obsolete on kde-look at an _impressive_ rate.
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list