From: Kevin Lacquement <kevin@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ML changes
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 02:33:46
1 Kumba wrote:
2
3 > - I envisioned three mailing lists, essentially:
4 > * core
5 > * dev
6 > * project
7 >
8 > - core: private, dev-only mailing list for internal discussion
9 >
10 > * Possibility: becomes read-only to the public after
11 > a set time limit, possibly 1, 2, 4, or 6 months.
12 > Certain messages and threads could be marked (via
13 > some feature, for example) to remain permanently
14 > private, and thus would never be readable by the
15 > public. This policy would NOT apply retroactively.
16
17 I'm not sure about stuff in -core becoming publicly accessible. After
18 all, isn't it in the private list for a reason? Perhaps summaries of
19 -core discussions being forwarded to -dev would be a better option.
20 However, I'm new to -dev, so if this is what already happens I don't know.
24 > - dev: open, dev and user mailing list for technical discussions
25 > about
26 > the gentoo project. Topics would include package
27 > addition/removal/masking announcements, EAPI discussions,
28 > package development questions/inquires (i.e., from users,
29 > but NOT help -- gentoo-user exists for that).
30
31 Here's where we want the non-devs to get access. After all, not all
32 development and debugging is done by devs. All the current devs were,
33 at one point, users. Where did they get their start? My bet is they
34 entered via the -dev mailing list, learned the ropes here, and
35 eventually earned their dev status. If the -dev list is closed, where
36 do the new dev-wannabes learn the ropes and get their voices heard?
39 > * Possibility: Package changes, such as moves,
40 > deletions, additions, and so forth could also be
41 > routed automatically to a -dev-announce ML, possibly
42 > by prefixing the subject field with "[ANNOUNCEMENT]:"
43 > (This prefix, would of course, be stripped by the
44 > automatic mailer before posting to -dev-announce).
45
46 Would it perhaps be better to send announcements to -dev-announce, and
47 have that list forward to -dev? That way we avoid issues if a subject
48 starts with [ANNONUCEMENT], for example
51 > * Possibility: topics could also include developer
52 > recruitment and developer departure emails. However,
53 > these may need to be sparse and impersonal (almost
54 > machine-like) where-in it may be announced who joined
55 > (First/Last name, developer name, IRC handle, etc..),
56 > herd they'll be joining, and duties they'll perform,
57 > including packages they may be maintaining. These can
58 > also be routed to a -dev-announce ML.
59
60 If these messages will be machine-like, why not have them
61 machine-generated? When you become a dev, someone (you? the person
62 that -dev-ifie's you?) fills out a form, and the information from the
63 form is forwarded to the list.
64
65 [snip -project]
68 > Basically, moderation is a tool to me, a tool that should be used
69 > sparingly. Not used as a blanket cover, with the occasional someone
70 > lifting up that blanket to peek outside (save that for the monster under
71 > the bed). That said, however, I don't think we should totally dismiss
72 > the idea of blanket moderation.
73 >
74 > Rather, I think we should first implement -project, put out enough
75 > information to get people to use it, and watch it for a few months. By
76 > and large, we may discover that simply giving another list for the
77 > non-technical discussions may fix the problems on -dev, and moderation
78 > won't be needed on either list. If, on the other hand, problems still
79 > arise on -dev that -project did not address (or may've been potentially
80 > created by -project's creation), then we can revisit the option of
81 > blanket moderation then.
82
83 I agree with this. Also, it gives a transition time for people to get
84 used to the new idea. Don't create -project, then 3 months later say
85 "that didn't work, we need to moderate -dev". Give it a little more
86 time than that. Ensure that people are reminded, especially at the
87 beginning, that there may be a more appropriate forum.
90 > Simply put: One Step At A Time.
94 > Cheers,
95 >
96 > --Kumba