From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc-2.17: nscd is optional
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 10:31:42
1 On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 2:24 AM, Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
3 >> You realize that files are cached in RAM right?
4 >
5 > Yes, I know how operating systems work.
6 >
7 >> More than likely those pages are always in cache.
8 >
9 > Did you read my reply at all? You are assuming ideal conditions
10 > (enough free RAM), for a specific kind of desktop (low seek time for
11 > root filesystem is one assumption), where the solution you are relying
12 > upon is a generic one, and will fail under high load. I prefer
13 > removing potential problems instead of relying on optimal behavior and
14 > having to figure what went wrong down the road.
15
16 There are tons of built-in assumptions regarding system state on this
17 thread. I believe the argument being offered is that for the vast
18 majority of desktop users, the default upstream approach of flatfiles
19 serves the common use case fine. If you think the majority of desktop
20 users are using more than one machine, or NIS+ or anything
21 complicated, then we already disagree on the base case ;)
24 >> The time required to parse
25 >> the average GNOME single user desktop machine (I've got 44 users and
26 >> 69 groups on that box) is likely smaller than the overhead of a DB.
27 >
28 > No, since the DB can have frequent pages locked into memory. Should I
29 > also ask: “you realize that not all DBs are MySQL and Oracle, right”?
30 >
31 > I think this branch of discussion became pretty off-topic, so I
32 > suggest stopping it. I just wanted people to know about the optional
33 > glibc database functionality, which is a nice alternative for those of
34 > us that are used to nscd with NIS+, and which doesn't work at the
35 > moment (so maybe someone feels like figuring it out on the glibc bug
36 > opened by vapier). I certainly have no desire to read condescending
37 > replies. If I wanted a flamewar, I would have probably mentioned that
38 > glibc uses /var/db for the database, which is not FHS-compliant.
39
40 There are a ton of nss modules users can enable if they so choose.
43 > --
44 > Maxim Kammerer
45 > Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte
46 >