From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc-2.17: nscd is optional
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 10:25:54
1 On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
2 > You realize that files are cached in RAM right?
3
4 Yes, I know how operating systems work.
5
6 > More than likely those pages are always in cache.
7
8 Did you read my reply at all? You are assuming ideal conditions
9 (enough free RAM), for a specific kind of desktop (low seek time for
10 root filesystem is one assumption), where the solution you are relying
11 upon is a generic one, and will fail under high load. I prefer
12 removing potential problems instead of relying on optimal behavior and
13 having to figure what went wrong down the road.
14
15 > The time required to parse
16 > the average GNOME single user desktop machine (I've got 44 users and
17 > 69 groups on that box) is likely smaller than the overhead of a DB.
18
19 No, since the DB can have frequent pages locked into memory. Should I
20 also ask: “you realize that not all DBs are MySQL and Oracle, right”?
21
22 I think this branch of discussion became pretty off-topic, so I
23 suggest stopping it. I just wanted people to know about the optional
24 glibc database functionality, which is a nice alternative for those of
25 us that are used to nscd with NIS+, and which doesn't work at the
26 moment (so maybe someone feels like figuring it out on the glibc bug
27 opened by vapier). I certainly have no desire to read condescending
28 replies. If I wanted a flamewar, I would have probably mentioned that
29 glibc uses /var/db for the database, which is not FHS-compliant.
32 Maxim Kammerer
33 Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte