From: Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org>
To: Denis Shcherbakov <deniss@×××××××××.EDU>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Printing: CUPS and HP LaserJet on JetDirect
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:36:45
1 Denis Shcherbakov wrote:
2
3 > Then I got a tip from Donny Davies (a Gentoo Developer), who forwarded to
4 > me Jeffrey D. Kowing's message regarding this matter in [gentoo-dev],
5 > where he says that getting a fresh *.ppd from sourceforge.net solves the
6 > problem. So I went to sourceforge and got a PPD file for my HP LasetJet
7 > 4M, which is generated as HP-LaserJet_4M-ljet4-ppd.ppd, put it into my
8 > /usr/share/cups/model/ with all other PPD's, deleted my current printers
9 > and ran from the commandline (for JetDirect)
10
11 I download ppds from linuxprinting.org and never had any problems
12 with postscript laserjets (4M is postscript, isn't it?)
13 Commandline printer installation and kdeprint installation allows to
14 load a ppd from a file.
17 > /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p printer_name -E -v socket://printer_IP:9100 -m
18 > HP-LaserJet_4M-ljet4-ppd.ppd
19 >
20 > restarted cups and xinetd just in case
21 >
22 > /etc/init.d/cupsd restart
23 > /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
24
25 why xinetd ?
26 cups-lpd is needed only if your server needs to
27 accept old lpd request from remote hosts.
28 If you can run cups on all your workstations I suggest to
29 disable lpd compatibility.
30 LPD must die! :-)
31 (quoting a cups developer)
34 > checked if the printer is up, enabled, and accepting jobs
35 >
36 > lpstat -p -d -o
37 >
38 > and sent it a job
39 >
40 > lp some_file.ps
41 >
42 > And it worked like a charm. The only thing I wasn't able to understand is
43 > why it generated two empty sheets of paper before the job comes out, but
44 > hey - it's recyclable :))
45
46 I've readed that some accounting code in some old ppd
47 generates empty sheets.
48 Maybe you could try to use the generated ppd from ppd-o-matic at
49 linuxprinting.org.
50
51 Marko