From: Denis Shcherbakov <deniss@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Printing: CUPS and HP LaserJet on JetDirect
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:41:09
1 I have spent a few days trying to get my Gentoo box to print with CUPS, on
2 a remote network HP LeserJet 4M printer, sitting on a JetDirect interface.
3 I have tried every possible tweak of my cups and xinetd config files
4 (there was a recommendation to emerge and configure xinetd in order to get
5 CUPS working on Gentoo): tried both CUPS and GIMP-PRINT *.ppd drivers for
6 this printer. Every time I tried to print a test page from the web admin
7 tool for cups, I had the same output: job cancelled at <time>. If I
8 tried to re-activate the job, I got "Error: client-error-not-possible".
9
10 Then I got a tip from Donny Davies (a Gentoo Developer), who forwarded to
11 me Jeffrey D. Kowing's message regarding this matter in [gentoo-dev],
12 where he says that getting a fresh *.ppd from sourceforge.net solves the
13 problem. So I went to sourceforge and got a PPD file for my HP LasetJet
14 4M, which is generated as HP-LaserJet_4M-ljet4-ppd.ppd, put it into my
15 /usr/share/cups/model/ with all other PPD's, deleted my current printers
16 and ran from the commandline (for JetDirect)
17
18 /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p printer_name -E -v socket://printer_IP:9100 -m
19 HP-LaserJet_4M-ljet4-ppd.ppd
20
21 restarted cups and xinetd just in case
22
23 /etc/init.d/cupsd restart
24 /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
25
26 checked if the printer is up, enabled, and accepting jobs
27
28 lpstat -p -d -o
29
30 and sent it a job
31
32 lp some_file.ps
33
34 And it worked like a charm. The only thing I wasn't able to understand is
35 why it generated two empty sheets of paper before the job comes out, but
36 hey - it's recyclable :))
37
38 I hope this helps SOMEone. Please email if you need something clarified,
39 since I spent like 3 days on this particular issue.
40
41 Denis