From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: tcsh vs. csh, removal of the latter
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:51:38
1 Hi,
2
3 On 1/25/06, Grobian <grobian@g.o> wrote:
4 > Because csh is rather old and tcsh can be used as replacement, I would
5 > like to have csh removed from the tree, then have tcsh always providing
6 > the symlink csh -> tcsh. The situation is a bit the same as Gentoo not
7 > providing an ebuild for sh, and bash just installing a symlink for
8 > sh -> bash.
9
10 I don't agree that the comparison holds true.
11
12 It appears to be true that the tree doesn't contain a true Bourne
13 shell (although we could always look at the OpenSolaris sources if we
14 ever wanted one [1]), but the tree does contain these alternatives to
15 bash:
16
17 * app-shells/ash
18 * app-shells/ksh
19 * app-shells/pdksh
20
21 The BSD userland doesn't link /bin/sh to /bin/bash; I'm not sure what
22 they use as /bin/sh.
23
24 The csh package currently has a maintainer who is an active Gentoo
25 developer; have you spoken to taviso first to find out whether he
26 wants to remove csh from the tree?
27
28 [1] http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/sh.html
29