From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Summary line
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:36:52
1 On 08/11/2015 04:28 PM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > On 11/08/15 04:57 AM, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
3 >> The more we stuff into the summary line, the harder it will be to
4 >> write meaningful summaries. And thus, people will write crappy ones
5 >> or ignore the length limit. I recommend against any more
6 >> prescription over "Add the the cat/pn if meaningful, don't use more
7 >> than 75 characters".
8 >
9 >> The cat/pn rule is tricky anyway: what if one commit touches 100
10 >> packages? Or should that be split into 100 commits for easier
11 >> partial rollback?
12 >
13 >> Regards, Tobias
17 > The summary line limit is going to be a real issue, tbh. I think it
18 > would probably be best to adopt the convention of putting a few
19 > choice, perhaps even canned, phrases in the summary line, and ensure
20 > any and all details (effectively what the summary line used to be for
21 > when it had practically no limit) within the commit message body instead
22 > .
23 >
24 > Stuff like 'cat/pn: version bumps', 'cat/pn: new features', 'cat/pn:
25 > adjusted dependencies' are generic (and short) enough yet descriptive
26 > enough to see what went on while scanning the log. 'Fix bug' IMO in
27 > the summary doesn't work at all because, although its accurate, that
28 > bug could literally be anything at all.
29 >
30 > Multi-package commits are going to be more of an issue of course.. I
31 > did one last night, fortunately I think I can get away with using
32 > "mozilla packages" in place of cat/pn since it is a very specific set
33 > of packages. Perhaps for sweeping changes like that we can use the
34 > herdname or projectname or the category name (if its a particular
35 > category only)?
40 The "CATEGORY:" prefix is already in the wiki. Interesting idea about
41 projectname/herdname prefix.
42
43 I've already seen someone (I think ulm) prefixing with [QA].
44
45 I don't feel strong about this. IMO, if there is no useful prefix...
46 just don't use any. The lack of prefix will make it obvious that this is
47 a larger change. But project/herd specific prefixes could still make sense.