From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mgorny@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: noarch keyword
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 17:48:01
1 On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 06:12:37PM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2020-03-18 at 09:54 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > this came up again on the recent thread about dropping non x86/amd64
4 > > support for python packages, and I want to bring it up again on its own
5 > > thread.
6 > >
7 > > How often do architecture specific bugs really exist in languages like
8 > > perl, python etc? From what I've seen they are pretty rare. Not to mention,
9 > > if we found one somewhere, we could adjust keywords as necessary.
10 > >
11 > > Also, if someone did inadvertently keyword a package with noarch that didn't
12 > > work everywhere, it would be a matter of adjusting the keywords for that
13 > > package.
14 > >
15 > > So, my question is, why can't we add a noarch/~noarch keyword and see
16 > > how things go? If it gets abused we can always nuke it later.
19 > 1. How is this going to work when noarch package depends on non-nonarch
20 > package? I mean, will all the package managers actually work? Have you
21 > did some minimal testing before bringing this up?
22
23 Can you have multiple ACCEPT_KEYWORDS values in make.conf or
24 make.defaults like this?
25
26 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 noarch"
27
28 If so, things should just work.
29
30 Currently I don't know of any arch/package combos to test this with.
31
32 > 2. Who will be responsible for handling noarch stablereqs? Will there
33 > be a noarch arch team?
34
35 The maintainer would be able to add the "~noarch" keyword. I'm not sure
36 there needs to be a noarch arch team. We could just say that all arch
37 team members can stabilize these or maybe the maintainers can afterh the
38 timeout.
39
40 William
41