From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: noarch keyword
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 18:12:18
1 On Wed, 2020-03-18 at 12:47 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 06:12:37PM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 2020-03-18 at 09:54 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > > > this came up again on the recent thread about dropping non x86/amd64
5 > > > support for python packages, and I want to bring it up again on its own
6 > > > thread.
7 > > >
8 > > > How often do architecture specific bugs really exist in languages like
9 > > > perl, python etc? From what I've seen they are pretty rare. Not to mention,
10 > > > if we found one somewhere, we could adjust keywords as necessary.
11 > > >
12 > > > Also, if someone did inadvertently keyword a package with noarch that didn't
13 > > > work everywhere, it would be a matter of adjusting the keywords for that
14 > > > package.
15 > > >
16 > > > So, my question is, why can't we add a noarch/~noarch keyword and see
17 > > > how things go? If it gets abused we can always nuke it later.
18 > > >
19 > >
20 > > 1. How is this going to work when noarch package depends on non-nonarch
21 > > package? I mean, will all the package managers actually work? Have you
22 > > did some minimal testing before bringing this up?
23 >
24 > Can you have multiple ACCEPT_KEYWORDS values in make.conf or
25 > make.defaults like this?
26 >
27 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 noarch"
28 >
29 > If so, things should just work.
30 >
31 > Currently I don't know of any arch/package combos to test this with.
32
33 I'm talking about repoman/pkgcheck.
34
35 > > 2. Who will be responsible for handling noarch stablereqs? Will there
36 > > be a noarch arch team?
37 >
38 > The maintainer would be able to add the "~noarch" keyword. I'm not sure
39 > there needs to be a noarch arch team. We could just say that all arch
40 > team members can stabilize these or maybe the maintainers can afterh the
41 > timeout.
44 Would you CC all arch teams on the bug then?
45
46 We have ALLARCHES already, and to my experience most arch teams fail to
47 handle that.
50 Best regards,
51 Michał Górny