From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: how to contribute to use/slot deps: was Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 20:49:10
1 Dan Meltzer wrote:
2 > On 12/24/05, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 23:56:37 -0800 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
5 >>wrote:
6 >>| It's really pretty simple- get off your butt and chip in if you want
7 >>| it, else you're on _our_ timeline (eg, we implement it when we deem
8 >>| it sane/ready to go).
9 >>
10 >>Is Portage development done to support the needs of those of us who
11 >>provide the tree, or is the tree expected to be restricted to whatever
12 >>Portage developers feel like implementing?
15 > I'd say the latter.
16 >
17 > The tree is restricted to what is implemented in portage, and as it is
18 > a volunteer organization, what is implemented is what the portage
19 > dev's feel like implementing.
20 >
21 > If you want more to be implemented, submit patches.
24 hmmmmmmm, from reading the emails, bug reports and irc chats of portage
25 devs, non-portage devs and end users I would say it's a little bit of
26 both. The non-portage devs are using a tool provided by the portage devs
27 that allows them to create the Gentoo distro. Those two teams work
28 together to ensure the best possible tool. If the portage devs ONLY did
29 what they felt like (or the opposite, only did what the other devs told
30 them and ignored their own intimate knowledge of portage) then portage
31 would not be where it is today. True developement is a subtle play of
32 ideas back and forth between everyone involved resulting in an excellent
33 piece of software.
34
35 Yes, the portage devs have the final say since they are the ones doing
36 the actual work but they would be remiss if they simply ignored everyone
37 else and did what they wanted (although they could very well do this if
38 they choose). Just as the non-portage devs would be remiss if we ignored
39 everyone else while doing our work.
40
41 The one doing the work is the one with the intimate knowledge of
42 internals so their opinion should count very highly when it comes to
43 implementing/not-implementing those ideas but not all of the ideas come
44 from the portage-devs. Some of the ideas come from the non-portage-dev
45 people who use it on a daily basis.
46
47 As so many have said, Gentoo is an all volunteer project so you get what
48 we have time to give you but we *do* listen to the ideas of others. We
49 don't always implement those ideas but we do listen to them at the very
50 least. You never know where the next great idea that will make things
51 faster/more efficient is going to come from and we would be stupid to
52 ignore them.
53
54 confucius says: No dev is an island.
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list