From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Suggestion: Portage should not mask packages globally, but only for some arches
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 21:02:43
1 Hi,
2
3 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>:
4 > On 02/02/2011 10:30 AM, Kacper Kowalik wrote:
5 > > W dniu 02.02.2011 08:59, Nikos Chantziaras pisze:
6 > >> It seems that KDE 4.6 is still hard-masked for x86 and amd64
7 > >> because it's waiting for ppc and ppc64 keywords. I believe it
8 > >> would be beneficial for people if they wouldn't have to wait for
9 > >> arches that don't affect them at all.
10 > >> [...]
11 > >
12 > > I don't know what gave you the idea that ppc* has anything to do
13 > > with masking/unmasking of KDE-4.6. Just 2 facts:
14 > > 1) you can unmask anything by using /etc/portage/package.unmask,
15 > > therefore nothing can ever hold *you* back
16 >
17 > This is about all users in general. Not just me :-) If putting
18 > stuff in /etc/portage/package.unmask should be considered the
19 > recommended solution for this, then we wouldn't need a masking system
20 > in the first place. When something is hard-masked, it tells the user
21 > "we're not considering it safe or working yet."
24 > > 2) arches already have independent package.mask files, see
25 > > ${PORTDIR}/profiles/arch/powerpc/package.mask for an example.
26 >
27 > It seems they aren't used though. I mainly posted this because of
28 > the discussion on this page:
29 >
30 > http://blog.tampakrap.gr/kde-sc-4-6-0-in-gentoo
31 >
32 > It seems devs have can't modify arch/powerpc/package.mask on their
33 > own? If not, this looks like a problem, delaying packages for all
34 > arches.
35
36 Don't be so impatient...Debian users wait two years for a new major
37 version of KDE. This is also a general hard mask for wider testing, it
38 usually gets moved further down the line to individual profiles.
39
40 V-Li
43 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
44 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
45
46 <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>