From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Suggestion: Portage should not mask packages globally, but only for some arches
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 08:50:00
1 On 02/02/2011 10:30 AM, Kacper Kowalik wrote:
2 > W dniu 02.02.2011 08:59, Nikos Chantziaras pisze:
3 >> It seems that KDE 4.6 is still hard-masked for x86 and amd64 because
4 >> it's waiting for ppc and ppc64 keywords. I believe it would be
5 >> beneficial for people if they wouldn't have to wait for arches that
6 >> don't affect them at all.
7 >> [...]
8 >
9 > I don't know what gave you the idea that ppc* has anything to do with
10 > masking/unmasking of KDE-4.6. Just 2 facts:
11 > 1) you can unmask anything by using /etc/portage/package.unmask,
12 > therefore nothing can ever hold *you* back
13
14 This is about all users in general. Not just me :-) If putting stuff
15 in /etc/portage/package.unmask should be considered the recommended
16 solution for this, then we wouldn't need a masking system in the first
17 place. When something is hard-masked, it tells the user "we're not
18 considering it safe or working yet."
21 > 2) arches already have independent package.mask files, see
22 > ${PORTDIR}/profiles/arch/powerpc/package.mask for an example.
23
24 It seems they aren't used though. I mainly posted this because of the
25 discussion on this page:
26
27 http://blog.tampakrap.gr/kde-sc-4-6-0-in-gentoo
28
29 It seems devs have can't modify arch/powerpc/package.mask on their own?
30 If not, this looks like a problem, delaying packages for all arches.