From: Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: Portage should not mask packages globally, but only for some arches
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 08:31:27
1 W dniu 02.02.2011 08:59, Nikos Chantziaras pisze:
2 > It seems that KDE 4.6 is still hard-masked for x86 and amd64 because
3 > it's waiting for ppc and ppc64 keywords. I believe it would be
4 > beneficial for people if they wouldn't have to wait for arches that
5 > don't affect them at all.
6 >
7 > It seems better if the packages can be unmasked for x86 and amd64 and
8 > only kept hard-masked for ppc/ppc64 while they wait for keywords.
9 > Otherwise, all arches will feel the effect of the slowest one without
10 > there being a need for this.
13 I don't know what gave you the idea that ppc* has anything to do with
14 masking/unmasking of KDE-4.6. Just 2 facts:
15 1) you can unmask anything by using /etc/portage/package.unmask,
16 therefore nothing can ever hold *you* back
17 2) arches already have independent package.mask files, see
18 ${PORTDIR}/profiles/arch/powerpc/package.mask for an example.
19
20 Best regards,
21 Kacper Kowalik