From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP #10 -- Proposal for restructuring the CVS regarding documentation wrt internationalization proposal
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:36:35
1 On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:45:17AM -0400, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > 2) One thing that isn't clear in the GLEP. Is
3 > http://www.gentoo.org/${LANGUAGE} an *exact* copy of
4 > http://www.gentoo.org/en/? Or are the internationalization teams allowed
5 > to change things? For the most part, I would like to ensure that we have
6 > one, consistent web site, so I'd like to see translations happening, but
7 > not alternate content per se.
8
9 I was hoping not to translate the site, but have the
10 http://www.gentoo.org/${LANGUAGE} be something like this:
11 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/international.html
12
13 It provides the user with:
14 - translated documentation
15 - a listing of community sites in that language
16 - language-specific newsitems:
17 * new translations (both doc or GWN)
18 * new community site
19 * perhaps translated news items from www.gentoo.org
20
21 > You touch a bit upon this in the "Internationalized Website" but I'm still
22 > not clear on how it works, so some clarification would be appreciated.
23
24 Personally I don't believe in translating a site, although I've left the
25 possibility open since there are probably people who do like to see
26 www.gentoo.org translated.
27
28 > 3) Regarding permissions, I don't really like the idea of the entire docs
29 > team having commit access to /en/main/. I realize that's the case now
30 > because of where docs.xml resides, but if we're going to restructure things
31 > then I'd like to change that. Ideally, I would like members of cvsdoc to
32 > have commit access to /en/docs/ and the cvsweb group to have commit access
33 > to /en/main/. cvswebdoc is a nasty hack of a solution created because of
34 > our current structure. I'd like to see it killed off as part of this
35 > restructure.
36
37 Fine by me. The stricter the permissions, the better.
38
39 You can also seperate the main website from the "translated" websites. Have
40 the main website in [gentoo]/xml/htdocs/main, while all the rest resides in
41 [gentoo]/xml/htdocs/${LANGUAGE}/main (with ${LANGUAGE} including "en").
42
43 With this, the cvsweb group has commit access to the main website, while the
44 cvsdocen has to the english, cvsdocnl to the dutch, cvsdocfr to the french
45 etc...
46
47 So, more schematic:
48
49 * http://www.gentoo.org
50 - Main website
51 - CVS: [gentoo]/xml/htdocs/main and subdirectories
52 - CVS-commit: "cvsweb" group
53
54 * http://www.gentoo.org/en ( == http://en.gentoo.org)
55 - English documentation / communities website
56 - CVS: [gentoo]/xml/htdocs/en/ and subdirectories
57 - CVS-commit: "cvsdocen" group
58
59 * http://www.gentoo.org/fr ( == http://fr.gentoo.org)
60 - French documentation / communities website
61 - CVS: [gentoo]/xml/htdocs/fr and subdirectories
62 - CVS-commot: "cvsdocfr" group
63
64 etc.
65
66 As FRLinux pointed out somewhere, a strict policy on how the
67 http://${LANGUAGE}.gentoo.org website looks like, and what comes on it is
68 probably needed.
69
70 > 4) How do /en/proj/* pages get translated?
71
72 By the translationteams, who have access to
73 ${LANGUAGE}/
74 so can translate
75 ${LANGUAGE}/proj/*
76
77 > 5) One significant problem we have with the GWN is translation teams not
78 > keeping things up to date. This may be outside of the scope of this GLEP,
79 > but I'd sure like to see a defined policy that states what is expected of
80 > the translation teams and at what point a language will be "killed off"
81 > from the web site for falling behind. We *do not* want to have
82 > /<language>/doc/gentoo-x86-install.xml handing out the wrong information.
83 > If we can't keep a language up to date, it should be removed entirely imo.
84
85 Agreed. However, this is related to the GDP policy itself (for documentation)
86 and indeed not related to this GLEP. Sergey and I will make sure that
87 translations do not fall behind, and that they are removed from the website
88 if they do.
89
90 I'm not speaking in behalf of the GWN though, it's not really my domain.
91
92 > 6) Backwards compatibility needs to be maintained. Think of all the
93 > external links to http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml on
94 > other sites. We can't simply cause all of them to break. We can do some
95 > fancy footwork with mod_rewrite to facilitate this, but the GLEP needs to
96 > be updated to reflect the fact that we *will* make a best effort to
97 > maintain backwards compatibility.
98
99 One way to do so is to have a /doc with symlinks all over the place. Since
100 there is no /doc in the proposal, no precautions have to be taken. Except
101 ofcourse allowing the webserver to follow symlinks.
102
103 Wkr,
104 Sven Vermeulen
107 Save some animals, eat a vegetarian.