From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: robbat2@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP #10 -- Proposal for restructuring the CVS regarding documentation wrt internationalization proposal
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:45:52
1 On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 08:31:08PM +0200 or thereabouts, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0010.html
3
4 > All feedback appreciated, especially from the infrastructure folks as it is
5 > mainly infrastructure related.
6
7 OK, so I finally had a chance to review and think about this GLEP. Below
8 are some questions/comments that I have.
9
10 1) I'd like Robin (robbat2) to comment on this since the primary reason for
11 the GLEP seems to be better control over CVS permissions. I know Robin has
12 some ideas on how he wants to change CVS permissions, so his feedback here
13 is important. (cc'd on this email)
14
15 2) One thing that isn't clear in the GLEP. Is
16 http://www.gentoo.org/${LANGUAGE} an *exact* copy of
17 http://www.gentoo.org/en/? Or are the internationalization teams allowed
18 to change things? For the most part, I would like to ensure that we have
19 one, consistent web site, so I'd like to see translations happening, but
20 not alternate content per se.
21
22 You touch a bit upon this in the "Internationalized Website" but I'm still
23 not clear on how it works, so some clarification would be appreciated.
24
25 3) Regarding permissions, I don't really like the idea of the entire docs
26 team having commit access to /en/main/. I realize that's the case now
27 because of where docs.xml resides, but if we're going to restructure things
28 then I'd like to change that. Ideally, I would like members of cvsdoc to
29 have commit access to /en/docs/ and the cvsweb group to have commit access
30 to /en/main/. cvswebdoc is a nasty hack of a solution created because of
31 our current structure. I'd like to see it killed off as part of this
32 restructure.
33
34 4) How do /en/proj/* pages get translated?
35
36 5) One significant problem we have with the GWN is translation teams not
37 keeping things up to date. This may be outside of the scope of this GLEP,
38 but I'd sure like to see a defined policy that states what is expected of
39 the translation teams and at what point a language will be "killed off"
40 from the web site for falling behind. We *do not* want to have
41 /<language>/doc/gentoo-x86-install.xml handing out the wrong information.
42 If we can't keep a language up to date, it should be removed entirely imo.
43
44 6) Backwards compatibility needs to be maintained. Think of all the
45 external links to http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml on
46 other sites. We can't simply cause all of them to break. We can do some
47 fancy footwork with mod_rewrite to facilitate this, but the GLEP needs to
48 be updated to reflect the fact that we *will* make a best effort to
49 maintain backwards compatibility.