From: Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP #10 -- Proposal for restructuring the CVS regarding documentation wrt internationalization proposal
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:13:50
1 On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:45:17 -0400
2 Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 08:31:08PM +0200 or thereabouts, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
5 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0010.html
6 >
7 > > All feedback appreciated, especially from the infrastructure folks as it is
8 > > mainly infrastructure related.
9 >
10 > OK, so I finally had a chance to review and think about this GLEP. Below
11 > are some questions/comments that I have.
12 >
13 > 1) I'd like Robin (robbat2) to comment on this since the primary reason for
14 > the GLEP seems to be better control over CVS permissions. I know Robin has
15 > some ideas on how he wants to change CVS permissions, so his feedback here
16 > is important. (cc'd on this email)
17 Primary reason depends very much on you point of view. For me primary reason is
18 higher level of i18n efforts, including $LANG.gentoo.org
21 > 2) One thing that isn't clear in the GLEP. Is
22 > http://www.gentoo.org/${LANGUAGE} an *exact* copy of
23 > http://www.gentoo.org/en/? Or are the internationalization teams allowed
24 > to change things? For the most part, I would like to ensure that we have
25 > one, consistent web site, so I'd like to see translations happening, but
26 > not alternate content per se.
27 >
28 > You touch a bit upon this in the "Internationalized Website" but I'm still
29 > not clear on how it works, so some clarification would be appreciated.
30
31 This has been discussed. I believe that many translators (including FRLinux
32 and me) have agreed that pure internationalization is prety much useless. I.e.
33 the $LANG.gentoo.org should contain not only translated items from the main page
34 but also any news related to their community.
35
36 As you mentioned correctly we are trying to achieve two diff goals internationalization
37 and support of communities (localization). I feel that Gentoo management does not
38 fully understand the importance of the second goal. As Gentoo is getting more and more
39 popular, more communities arrise everywhere. The $LANG.gentoo.org pages have a very good
40 chance of becoming the leading community pages, the ones which provide the official info.
41 Otherwise various pages will be created elsewhere and we will not have any effect over them
42 and over the info they provide.
43
44 Being an international user myself, I know how important it is to have such local support
45 strcture and think that we should not miss the chance to implement.
49 Let the Force be with us!
50 Sergey Kuleshov <svyatogor@g.o>
51 Public Key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~sergey/gentoo-gpg