From: Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Becoming a Gentoo developer?
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 12:21:11
1 Monday 13 Apr 2015 03:27:19, Daniel Campbell wrote :
2 > On 04/12/2015 05:17 AM, Yanestra wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I am long time user of Gentoo and I tinker with the idea of becoming
6 > > Gentoo developer.
7 > >
8 > > I am a software developer by profession, but I am not quite sure if I
9 > > should involve with Gentoo ebuild development.
10 > >
11 > > To be honest, I have not the slightest imagination what becoming a
12 > > Gentoo developer might mean. Things seem to be abhorringly complicated.
13 > >
14 > > As far as I understand, there are developers, proxy developers, then
15 > > there is something like Project Sunrise which I don't understand.
16 > >
17 > > There are apparently several different portage source repositories,
18 > > basing on different software, and furthermore, there is layman. As far
19 > > as I remember, portage is stored in cvs, where there is also git, and
20 > > somewhere subversion seems to linger.
21 > >
22 > > And there is lots of documentation that appears to be outdated or
23 > > strangely unattached to questions concerning organisation and overall
24 > > structure.
25 > >
26 > > Can someone please tell me where to start becoming a developer? Do there
27 > > exist something like quality guidelines for ebuilds?
28 > >
29 > > Why is there such a chaos?
30 > >
31 > > Thanks!
34 > As someone who is undergoing their IRC interview soon, I think I can
35 > answer some of these questions:
36 >
37 > * There are developers, proxy-maintainers, and the Sunrise project.
38 > Developers have access to the main Gentoo repository of ebuilds and do
39 > their best to maintain a quality tree. Proxy-maintainers are regular
40 > Gentoo users who "adopt" packages and pledge to help Gentoo developers
41 > in maintaining them until either they become a developer themselves or
42 > until another developer adopts the package officially. The Sunrise
43 > project is a separate tree where developers and users collaborate in
44 > getting new or specialized packages into a semi-official repository.
45 > Developers assist users in getting ebuilds up to snuff and help them
46 > build practical skills in contributing to Gentoo in a more structured
47 > manner.
48 >
49 > * Documentation, like the rest of Gentoo, is powered by volunteers. If
50 > you find any missing, erroneous, or outdated information, please file a
51 > bug or, if you have permissions on the Wiki, edit it yourself!
52 >
53 > * The general structure of Gentoo as an organization is somewhat simple.
54 > The Council makes all the big and important decisions, while developers
55 > have their own "herds" for specific goals (say, the perl, lisp, java,
56 > and games herds), which also correspond to projects with the same goals.
57 > The Foundation exists to give Gentoo adequate monetary and legal support
58 > in carrying out its goals as a distribution. Everything else is pretty
59 > much just a bunch of developers working together.
60 >
61 > * Gentoo's official tree is in CVS for now, but there is a git migration
62 > planned. I don't know the timing or exact plans for the immediate
63 > future, but my guess is things will be switching to git over the long
64 > term once logistic problems are solved. SVN repositories are available
65 > over layman only, as far as I'm aware.
66 >
67 > * Layman itself is a way to activate other repositories. That method is
68 > partially deprecated in favor of /etc/repos.conf/ files, which allow for
69 > greater, clearer control over repositories. Current releases of layman
70 > will interface with the new way of managing, and there are tools in
71 > place to make migration (mostly) painless.
72 >
73 > * The way to begin your journey to become a developer lies mostly in
74 > just helping out Gentoo, studying the Devmanual [0], and contacting
75 > recruiters to see if there is a mentor available for you.
76 >
77 > If you're interested in becoming an ebuild developer, you should try out
78 > the ebuild quiz [1]. For the most part it just takes a cautious and
79 > attentive eye, some adequate knowledge of bash, and familiarity with
80 > common building and admin tools. Since you're a developer by trade, I'm
81 > sure it wouldn't be a big problem for you to reach developer status. It
82 > takes time and effort, but in my personal opinion it's been worth every
83 > moment.
84 >
85 > I hope this helps!
86 >
87 > ~Daniel
88 >
89 > [0] https://devmanual.gentoo.org
90 > [1] https://wwwold.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/quiz/ebuild-quiz.txt
91 >
92 Hi Yanestra
93
94 Daniel summed it up pretty well: becoming a dev is a long and lengthy process
95 but worth it in the end cause you'll get to meet smart and passionate folks
96 along the path.
97
98 However, I'd like to point out yet another URL nobody has mentioned so far:
99 bugzilla [2] aka the Gentoo bug tracking system. There are always tons of bugs
100 waiting to get picked up. You're a software developer by profession so I would
101 advise you to look for bugs that lie in your field of interest. Gentoo isn't
102 one "big" aggregate of developers. We're broken down into small teams of people
103 working on a specific topic. You can check out the list of "Projects" here [3].
104 For instance do you like Perl? Help out the Perl team package Perl packages. Or
105 maybe you're a Pythonista? Give the Python team a hand. And so on and so forth.
106
107 Pick something you like and get involved. :)
108
109 Patrice
110
111 [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/