From: Warwick Bruce Chapman <warwick@××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo's problems
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:56:20
1 >> * The repeated abuse of silly phrases like "Gentoo is about choice",
2 >> "Gentoo is about the community" and "Gentoo should be about fun" to
3 >> attempt to rationalise insane policy decisions. Choice, community and
4 >> fun are all very well, but without a quality distribution they're
5 >> worthless. The primary goal should be a good distribution, with the
6 >> rest as things that come about as a result.
10 > See I tend to disagree somewhat here. Quality is good, I don't think
11 > anyone will argue against that (I mean how could you!). However I don't
12 > think quality comes from frustrated developers. I believe that keeping
13 > developers happy and sane (ergo having fun) has a positive affect on
14 > quality. I also think that our community (both users and devs) is
15 > probably our best asset. I think sacrificing that great community for
16 > quality is a mistake. Luckily quality and community generally aren't at
17 > odds most of the time.
18 >
19 I'm not sure that differs much from the meaning I interpreted from
20 Ciaran's point. I don't believe he is discounting "Choice, community
21 and fun" as much as he is saying that without a good distribution these
22 are irrelevant. So, to quote from the two of you, the primary goal
23 should be a good distribution (quality is good), in order to keep
24 developers happy and sane.
27 Warwick Bruce Chapman