From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo's problems
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:43:50
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 >
3 > * Portage. Gentoo hasn't delivered anything useful or cool for two
4 > years or so. Things like layman are merely workarounds for severe
5 > Portage limitations (not a criticism of layman). Delivery to end users
6 > is based around what's possible with Portage, not what people want or
7 > need. In the mean time, managing a Gentoo system has become much more
8 > complicated due to the increased number of packages on a typical system
9 > and the increased requirements for the average user. Combined with
10 > serious improvements in the competition, Gentoo's benefits are rapidly
11 > diminishing. Until there's a general admission that Portage is severely
12 > holding Gentoo back, anything delivered by Gentoo will be far below
13 > what could really be done.
14
15 Portage is being incrementally improved. I'm not trying to rag on the
16 former or the current portage crew; certainly it moves slowly. Much of
17 it needs rewriting; my preference is to have more tests so that when
18 stuff gets rewritten people aren't completly ruining the existing
19 system, so my focus has been on tests and docs. Occasionally I work on
20 features (glep 42 was one of those). People are free to submit patches
21 and I think the portage team^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Zac does a decent job of
22 integrating them. The only recent one that didn't get applied was the
23 parallelization one; and I think zmedico has some plans for how he wants
24 to accomplish that.
27 > It's been claimed that Gentoo lacks direction. It's more accurate to
28 > say that the inability to change Portage prevents Gentoo from going
29 > anywhere. That small interface improvements can be passed off as a big
30 > deal and that users get excited over minor config file tweaks is
31 > indicative of how low people's expectations really are.
34 The portage team has always been hesitant to break backwards
35 compatibility; the advantage of competing programs such as your own
36 (paludis) and pkgcore is that you don't have the whole of Gentoo's
37 user-base and you can remain much more agile in that type of space.
38
39 I also think either you are ignoring the changes or you are just unaware
40 of things that the portage team (aka Zac for the most part ;)) has been
41 working on. Many of these things are internal behind the scenes changes
42 and they don't require any user-level modification.
43
44 > * Similarly, the belief that Portage defines Gentoo and represents a
45 > lot of work. The tree defines Gentoo, and contains far more code than a
46 > mere package manager.
49 I agree with that statement.
50
51 > * Low QA expectations. Gentoo's QA isn't any worse than it was two
52 > years ago. However, expectations are much higher due to improvements in
53 > other distributions, and the increase in tree complexity makes
54 > mistakes much more severe.
55 >
56 > Mistakes can be classified as those that can be detected automatically
57 > (things are improving in this area -- for one example, adjutrix is being
58 > used to detect forced downgrades), and those that can't. Reducing the
59 > latter involves education and ensuring that developers are aware of
60 > expectations -- developers shouldn't be relying upon the QA team to do
61 > QA.
62 >
63 > Unfortunately, some developers simply won't fix QA mistakes. When
64 > something like this happens:
65 >
66 > 11:16:24 <@genstef> hansmi: bah fix your qa stuff yourself if you think
67 > I am wrong. I wont do something I dont agree with
68 >
69 > something has to be done to prevent the developer in question from
70 > continuing to hurt the users.
73 I can agree with parts of your statement. Particularly the expectations
74 are not set out anywhere (not even by the QA team). There are no
75 metrics, no data; it does not surprise me when QA is lax. There is QA
76 policy of course (devmanual and devrel docs) but most of that relies on
77 common sense (when is breaking the rules ok, when is it not, etc...) I
78 said the same thing when Halcy0n led QA; if all the devs can't agree on
79 the expectations of Quality Assurance within Gentoo there is no point in
80 enforcing much of anything (aside from what I would term; black/white QA
81 violations; ie no one in their right mind would think it wasn't a
82 violation). However many violations are in a gray area in between and
83 thus enforcement as well is...gray and not well executed.
84
85 I would like to also point out that your quoted irc snippet is very weak
86 as there is no explanation to what the issue is nor why genstef is being
87 bothered about it. I realize you most likely meant it as an example of
88 something that often happens (ie dev A does something, dev B calls him
89 on it, dev A and dev B disagree on what proper course of action is; one
90 dev must then have the bigger balls to either revert/fix or back down),
91 however it may be good to use a made up instance in the future; lest
92 your statement be misconstrued.
95 > * The wrong idea of what the user base is, and what the target user
96 > base is. Gentoo's direction is too heavily influenced by a small number
97 > of extremely noisy ricer forum users, many of whom don't even run
98 > Gentoo. Unfortunately, this self-perpetuating clique wields huge
99 > amounts of influence.
102 I was certain that Gentoo's direction was influenced by the people
103 working on Gentoo; not ricers. Do you have any examples of when the
104 ricers changed the direction of things in Gentoo.
105
106 > * The repeated abuse of silly phrases like "Gentoo is about choice",
107 > "Gentoo is about the community" and "Gentoo should be about fun" to
108 > attempt to rationalise insane policy decisions. Choice, community and
109 > fun are all very well, but without a quality distribution they're
110 > worthless. The primary goal should be a good distribution, with the
111 > rest as things that come about as a result.
114 See I tend to disagree somewhat here. Quality is good, I don't think
115 anyone will argue against that (I mean how could you!). However I don't
116 think quality comes from frustrated developers. I believe that keeping
117 developers happy and sane (ergo having fun) has a positive affect on
118 quality. I also think that our community (both users and devs) is
119 probably our best asset. I think sacrificing that great community for
120 quality is a mistake. Luckily quality and community generally aren't at
121 odds most of the time.
122
123 > * Finally, of course, the widespread refusal to accept what the real
124 > problems are, when it's much easier to blame everything upon a few
125 > people or groups. It might be nice and easy to think that Saddam has
126 > weapons of mass destruction and is secretly harbouring Bin Laden,
127 > particularly when a few disreputable news channels are going around
128 > saying it's true, but we all know how acting upon such delusions works
129 > out...
132 I could have a counterargument and say that you refuse to accept what
133 the real problem is and instead blame the portage developers and the set
134 of developers with poor QA habits; aka I think this is a bad argument
135 because one would have to agree on the problems to acknowledge them.
136
137 I think many people believe your involvement is a big problem and that
138 is unfortunate; however the fact that you seem to continue in the same
139 mannerisms without acknowledging that maybe you actually have negative
140 social impact here...I think that is a bit hypocritical. If projects
141 within Gentoo can make an attempt to evaluate themselves and their
142 affects on this mess; I think one person can do the same.
143
144 -Alec
145 --
146 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list