From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 17:02:53
1 On 09/15/2012 08:06 AM, Duncan wrote:
2 > Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina posted on Fri, 14 Sep 2012 19:43:42 -0400 as
3 > excerpted:
4 >
5 >> If anyone wants to explain to me why that DESCRIPTION line is so
6 >> critical that it must exist yet not important enough to put something
7 >> worthwhile in I'm all ears. Until that point I'll probably keep bringing
8 >> this up.
9 >
10 > Did you read the up-thread link Ciaran posted?
11 >
12 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/78813/
13 >
14 > IOW, it's legacy. They could probably "disappear", if anybody was
15 > willing to spend the time investigating, then fixing anything that broke
16 > when the lines "disappeared". But it's simply easier to go with "don't
17 > fix what's not broken", and just leave it be. Let someone else take that
18 > risk.
19 >
20 > But as long as any breakage "magically disappeared" to wherever the
21 > DESCRIPTIONs went, I don't expect there'd be many complaints...
22
23 I've gone ahead and removed them. I can't imagine that it will break
24 anything. After the change, all of the ebuilds still have non-empty
25 DESCRIPTION metadata.
26 --
27 Thanks,
28 Zac